On Thursday March 14th, 2019 Lucena Research co-hosted a panel discussion event with data provider Wall Street Horizon.
A diverse group of asset managers and data providers joined us for a cocktail reception and panel discussion concluded with a Q&A session.
The panel discussion consisted of data providers and investment industry experts who discussed finding predictive signals in alternative data as well as overall trends in the data landscape.
The panel was moderated by Rich Carbone, VP Data Strategy, Jefferies LLC
Olga Kokareva, Head of Data Sourcing and Strategy, Quantstellation,
Erez Katz, CEO and Co-Founder, Lucena Research
Barry L. Star, CEO and Founder, Wall Street Horizon
Jeff Ferro, Portfolio Manager
- The panelists shared personal experiences in the context of validating, ingesting and applying alternative data to investment.
- The state of alternative data within various consumer types in finance.
- The categorization of what exactly alternative data means to different groups of professionals.
- Skepticism in alternative data predictability, setting benchmarks and expectations.
- Pitfalls and best practices for using big data.
- Modeling alternative data to support both fundamental and quantitative investment research.
- Protecting data's potency in the face of overcrowding and commoditization.
- The future of alternative data: will providers merge to attract larger audiences or will new data providers continue to emerge?
Whether you are on the buy or sell side, the alternative data revolution is in full swing. Watch below for the panel video recap along with live Q&A received from the audience. Enjoy!
Additional Alt Data for Investment Resources:
In the news: Lucena Research and Wall Street Horizon announce Pre-Earnings Alt Data for Stock Forecasting.
In the news: Markets Media "Deadline Looms for Alt Data Skeptics"
Brochure: How to find short only signals with Wall Street Horizon's data.